Saturday, July 18, 2009

Concept mapping and Virtual field trips

Someone, I cannot remember who once told me students remember 20% of what they hear, 40% of what they hear and see, and 60-70% of what they hear, see, and do. Not sure about the total accuracy of this statement but my experience tends to agree with this idea. To me virtual field trips along with concept mapping will produce this total learning. Not having done these strategies before, I find myself coming to the conclusion that the way to hold a student's attention is to entertain him, and these strategies do. While I am still a novice at this attempt I intend to get better.

2 comments:

  1. I have heard that same statistic. Actually, I remember reading it in my 6th grade science class and it has stuck with me for all these years, believe it or not!
    I agree with you that the more senses we activate during the learning process, the more effective the lesson will be for the students. Sometimes I look at it as entertaining like you say (I joke that I am a one woman circus), but most of the time I just try to think of it as reaching as many students as I can, or differentiating.
    Marcella Pugliese

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    I have heard that same saying and would have to agree the percentages would probably be close in accuracy. Teaching is an exhausting profession because we are constantly entertaining our students; no matter what their age. I also have no experience in concept mapping or virtual field trips but I really enjoyed this week’s learning. I will have to keep exploring new sites trying to find virtual trips I can use in my math class. Did you find sites beneficial to what you teach?

    Stephanie Coultrip

    ReplyDelete