Friday, July 24, 2009

Constructionism

The study of the different learning theories has reaffirmed in my mind the old adage, "there are lots of ways to skin a cat". All of these, behavorist, cognitive, constructivism, and constructionist I have used during my teaching and coaching career. They all have distinct advantages and disadvantages. Some are more pertinent to today's technology than others, but, all are definitely useful. I readily admit to be a behaviorist most of my career and feel it still has a valuable place in my teaching, I find myself in the last few years really becoming more of a constructionist. I am a firm believer not only in my teaching but also in my life's dealings that the only real learning takes place when one is internally motivated. The idea of building something, as Dr. Orey (2009) says, constructing, first hand experiences, and etc., is where we really engage our brains. The past 5-7 years I find myself getting away from the concrete form of teaching I was schooled in over thirty years ago and allowing my students to be more involved in their learning. Allowing my students to really break down their subjects, synthesize and then learn outside the box. While I teach a subject area many would see as non-essential (Health/PE), I feel it is not only essential and practical, but one that can have an immediate impact on their lives. And so, to get my students to see the magnitude of the course they must be internally driven.
Project based learning is a vital part of my teaching. Getting the students in a partnership with me is my first objective. The use of projects within the parameters of the course rubric and defined objectives is where the students begin to create, process, and think. After all, that is what made America great. The constuctionist theory is about the free enterprise system, the idea that if I can perceive it, I can constuct it. This is where the intrinsic thinking leads to learning in a practical sense. At least that is how I see it.
The question then comes, how do I test this hypotheses, what are my tools. The learning resourses this week suggest many ways. I personal use the spreadsheet from excel as discussed in chapter 11 of our text, Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works. I prefer the spreadsheets because it cuts down on many time consumming task and focus on seeing the numbers and evaluating the process. I am fasinated with some of the web resources and intend to try some, in particular ExploreLearning, Smog City, and NASA SClence Files Problem Board.
The use of the Excel spreadsheets and some of the web resources should open up a number of ways to collect and evaluate data with the end results in the building or enhancing new knowledge.


John Poitevint

1 comment:

  1. John,
    You make a good point about constructionism. It makes students internally motivated. Without internal motivation, students will achieve nothing in a classroom based on constructionism. It validates students' previous knowledge and brings it into the classroom. By having students build on what they already know, it makes it easy to scaffold for various learning levels.
    -Carrie Young

    ReplyDelete