Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cooperative Learning

This week's technology is a glimpse into the learning and collaborative efforts that will come in the future. Growing up watching Television show like; the Jetsons, Star Trek, and Lost in Space, I marveled at science fiction. Today, that science fiction is almost a reality. Growing up in school with the idea that I had to discover things for myself, had to fend for myself, stand alone and be accountable...not that those attributes are not still necessary, I think they are, but today to solve the problem of a global world we need everyone. The idea that a problem can be solved using a person in Georgia on a team, another person in England, and another in Russia and we can all work together to solve a problem is plain...Star Trekish. To futher it and be able to bring that into a classroom and use everyone's resources is the way to fix a problem fast.

I love the idea of utilizing everyone to solve a problem, present a project, and etc. Coming from a long playing and coaching background I know it will work. The use of such technologies as power points, blogging, wikis, and now this week we learn more about voicethreads, are just tools to help the task become a reality. The science fiction of my growing up days seems almost possible. Further, I am interested in the concept of Keypals, and ePals. The twenty first century's penpals. I can see alot of potential in these web resources.

To summarize, while we all need to develop that internal drive to know and discover for ourselves and we must enhance this in our students. I am a firm believer in team...the idea of we sink or swim together. If we are to accomplish what needs to be accomplished for this global world it will be because of this valuable concept.


John Poitevint

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that our students must learn to work cooperatively with others. I too am amazed out how much technology allows this to happen. I am excited to introduce blogging to my students this year and may even introduce epals to them as well.

    ReplyDelete